What are Seasonal Allergies?
- Tree, grass and ragweed pollens thrive during cool nights and warm days
- Molds grow quickly in heat and high humidity
- Pollen levels tend to peak in the morning hours
- Rain washes pollen away, but pollen counts can soar after rainfall
- On a day with no wind, airborne allergens are grounded
- When the day is windy and warm, pollen counts surge
- Moving to another climate to avoid allergies or airborne allergens
What are the Symptoms?
- headaches or migraines
- stuffy or runny nose
- diarrhea or vomiting
- shortness of breath or asthma-like symptoms
- swelling of the face and eyes
- itchy or watery eyes
What are the Typical Treatments?
7 Ways to Eliminate the Source of Allergens in Your Home
Treating the symptoms may seem easiest, but it’s important to understand that the side-effects of these chemicals increase in severity with long-term usage and may even eventually worsen the symptoms. The best treatment for allergies is to eliminate the source of the allergens. This can be done with a few simple steps:
- Replace old pillows, rugs and blankets – these dust collectors can easily be removed from the home
- Wash, dry and pack stuffed animals in air-tight containers – while these dust magnets are more difficult to remove from the home because of the child’s attachment, they can be stored in such a way as to limit their ability to collect dust and aggravate allergies
- Wash and dry bed linens at least twice a month including blankets and quilts
- Avoid white sugar – refined sugar has no nutritional value and actually overtaxes the body during digestion; instead substitute with honey
- Avoid dairy products – dairy increases the production of mucus and can mimic an allergic reaction
- Avoid grains – difficult to digest and a common allergen (especially in children)
- Eat whole foods that are prepared at home.
It’s important to establish a regular eating schedule that includes healthier foods to build the immune system, which will actually help to alleviate allergic reactions. A few simple steps to reduce airborne allergens may result in a marked improvement of allergy symptoms.
Healthier Choices for Treating Allergy Symptoms
An important first step in treating allergies will be to eliminate the cause of the allergies; however, this may not be easy to determine right away. Items that have been in your home for a long time can sometimes be overlooked in the search for the allergen culprit. In the meantime there are always healthier choices than over-the-counter chemicals, including the following:
- Essential oils – peppermint, basil, eucalyptus, lemon and tea tree oil are the top 5 essential oils when dealing with allergies (learn more at draxe.com)
- Vitamin C – taken daily can block the histamine that causes the allergy symptoms
- Apple Cider Vinegar – this most popular home remedy should be taken as 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, mixed with 4 oz of water and 1 tbsp of natural honey up to three times a day
- Raw Honey – 2 tbsp of natural, local honey up to three times a day has been known to relieve allergy symptoms. (Read about the health benefits of Honey and Bees here).
- Bromelain – this pineapple extract decreases the inflammation associated with allergies
- Zinc – helps control inflammation in the respiratory tract and supports proper immune function
One of the primary benefits of home remedies, as opposed to over-the-counter drugs, is the absence of chemicals in the body that may create their own problems in side effects.
One of the primary causes of allergies is an impaired immune system, which substantially increases the risk of allergic reactions. “This occurs when the immune system becomes stressed due to an overload of toxins,” says C. Gableman, MD, a practitioner of environmental medicine. Your Doctor of Chiropractic is the only healthcare professional that recognizes the important role a healthy nervous system plays in a healthier immune system. Most, if not all, over-the-counter and prescription allergy treatments adversely affect the nervous system, which means that they will adversely affect your overall health and wellness. Many parents report that their children’s allergies improve with regular Chiropractic care; so, before you reach for a chemical, reach for the phone and schedule an appointment with your Family Wellness Chiropractor.